Come every summer, hundreds of people dream of taking road trips and with so much beauty and adventure in the world, it is very obvious for people to make such grand plans. On the other hand, some do not like the idea of waiting till summer and take frequent long drives to nearby spots for a quick city break or weekend getaway. Before you plan any such trip, it is important that you check your car thoroughly since you don’t want it to breakdown unexpectedly in the middle of nowhere and spoil the fun.
Even though there are several convenience stores such as Petroleum Wholesale LP which are famous by the name Main Street Market and serve all basic needs of travelers such as providing premium brand fuel, discounted groceries, hardware, auto parts, and fast food, etc. it is always a good idea to perform some basic checks before taking your car on a long route. Find below some of the important things to check in your car before going on the trip:
- Headlights – The lenses and covers on a headlight can get cloudy overtime and get scratches which reduce the brightness of the headlight. It is important to change the covers and lenses especially if you plan to drive at night. Also, check if all the lightbulbs are working fine, and if not, replace the bulb(s) that aren’t working anymore.
- AC airflow and ducts – Driving long roads in the summer heat can get really exhausting and tough if the AC in your car isn’t working or isn’t cooling as much as it should. Check for any belts that maybe damaged and replace them. You can also buy these at one of the many Petroleum Wholesale LP convenience stores if the AC gives up in the middle of the road.
- Engine – Observe if your engine takes a long time cool or overheats easily. If this happens, the vehicle may need you to clean the radiator blades. You should also check if the fan works properly. If not, consider replacing the thermostat for the fan. Last but not least, check for coolant refill and change fan belts if required.
- Tire pressure – A flat tire in the middle of nowhere in harsh sunlight is the most torturing thing that can ruin an otherwise perfect road trip. Also, low pressure in tires can lead to tire blowouts and reduction in fuel economy. Get it checked and ensure that you fill the tires as per the recommended pressure mentioned in the car’s owner manual.
- Oil level – Check for the oil level and quality. If it seems low, add the appropriate oil that your car needs to function properly. If dirty, you may consider a complete oil change. You can purchase the required brand from Petroleum Wholesale LP at highly competitive rates.
Remember, your car is your most trusted friend on a long drive or a road trip; therefore, it is important that you take care of it completely before you embark on a vacation.